One of the hardest things about being vegan is finding replacements for your favorite food, especially treats. Don’t get me wrong, I love being vegan. But it can sometimes be tricky to find a vegan cupcake, especially one that’s affordable.
I’m pretty lucky that I live in a town that offers many vegan options, one of them being a cupcake shop called Miss Moffet’s Mystical Cupcakes that offers a daily selection of vegan cupcakes. But at $4 a cupcake, that is a little steep for such a tiny treat.
So, I’d thought I’d try finding a vegan option that I can make at home for less.
I came across this pre-made mix at Grocery Outlet for only $2.39. Some pre-made cupcake mixes are dairy-free, all you have to do is inspect the ingredients. But, using a pre-made mix is a great way to find exact proportions of what you need without having to buy flour, backing soda in bulk. And if they are dairy-free then you don’t need to add eggs or milk to the batter either. You can use two teaspoons of vegetable oil to replace one egg. And instead of butter you can replace it with vegan butter or margarine. And instead of milk you can always use soy or almond, even water, to add into the batter.
The recipe on the back of the box recommended two eggs, four teaspoons of butter, and 2/3 cup of water to add into the batter. So, I used 4 teaspoons of vegetable oil, 4 teaspoons of vegan butter and 2/3 cup of water to mix into the batter.
And to top it all off, I used this frosting I found at the dollar store! And yes, it is vegan.
Below is the recipe I followed to make these delicious and heavenly looking cupcakes. It cost me less than $4 to make all these cupcakes which is an amazing steal since they are normally sold at $4 per cupcake. So, if you know where to look you can easily find these cheap ingredients. If you want the same products I used but can’t find them near where you live, then try using Amazon.com or Thrivemarket.com to find these or other affordable vegan products.
So, go ahead and make these for yourself to see how tasty vegan cupcakes can be.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, 4 teaspoons vegan butter (margarine), and 2/3 cup of water into bowl.
- Add dry ingredients (mix from box) slowly into bowl with wet ingredients. Stir until batter is smooth and free from bumps.
- Line muffin tin with baking cups. Pour batter into cups, but only fill halfway (gives room for cupcakes to rise without spilling out the baking cups).
- Put muffin tin into oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once done, poke cupcake with a fork. If fork is free from batter, then the cupcakes are ready.
- Take cupcakes out of muffin tin and place on a cooling rack and let them cool down for at least an hour.
- After cupcakes are cooled down, put frosting on top of cupcakes and add sprinkles.