Summer is closely approaching and so are my cravings for my favorite summer treat – Rice Krispies Treats.
Now, some people might not know this, but store-bought Rice Krispies Treats are not vegan – they’re not even vegetarian because one of the main ingredients, marshmallows, has gelatin in it. And a lot of gelatin consists of animal fats. The hard part is that most products don’t label whether their gelatin is animal or plant based.
So, when I’m craving this tasty treat I make them myself. That way I know for certain they are vegan.
To find vegan marshmallows, check out your local Trader Joe’s. They carry vegan marshmallows seasonally. So, if you want to make these treats year-round, make sure you stock up on the marshmallows since they are only available during the summer months. However, if you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s you can also try looking for them at your local co-op. I found them there with no problem. Or, you can also purchase them online from various websites like Amazon.com or Thrive.com.
Any version of Rice Krispies cereal will do the trick. I used the generic brand sold at Trader Joe’s since it is cheaper by $2 than the Kellogg’s Rice Krispies brand. And the last ingredient you will need is plant-based margarine (vegan butter). I always have Earth Balance on hand in my fridge, so I used that in this recipe. It’s one of my favorite vegan butters.
These are super easy to make and super tasty. Below is the recipes and instructions. So, go ahead. Treat yourself.
Vegan Rice Krispies Treats
1 10 oz. bag of vegan marshmallows
6 cups (half a bag) of Rice Krispies Cereal
3 Tbsp. of margarine (vegan butter)
- Heat pot on a stovetop to low-medium heat.
- Add margarine (vegan butter) into the pot.
- When margarine is melted, add marshmallows into the pot.
- Continuously stir marshmallows to avoid the marshmallows burning the bottom of the pan.
- After about 10-15 minutes, marshmallows should have melted into a fluffy, liquid texture similar to marshmallow fluff. Turn down heat to low and add in Rice Krispies cereal.
- Stir in one cup of Rice Krispies cereal at a time to make it easiest to stir and evenly distribute.
- Once the cereal is evenly stirred into the marshmallow mix, turn off the stovetop burner and transfer the Rice Krispy mix from the pot onto a wax-paper lined cookie sheet.
- After scooping Rice Krispy mix out of the pot onto the cookie sheet, flatten the Rice Krispies batter until it is as smooth as possible and shaped however you desire.
- Let it cool for about 30-60 minutes and then use a knife to cut evenly shaped squares (or stars, hearts, whatever shapes you desire). Plate and enjoy.